The benefits of cloth diapers - some obvious ones and few that may surprise you!
Cloth diapers have been used for centuries as an eco-friendly, cost-effective, safe and comfortable way to keep babies dry and clean. Here are some of the benefits of using cloth diapers:
Environmentally friendly: Disposable diapers are a significant source of waste in landfills, taking up to 500 years to decompose. Every year over 18,000,000,000 diapers are thrown into landfills. That is over 3.4 million tons of plastic, paper and tape filling up our landfills. Single-use diapers represent between 2% to 4% of solid waste in our nation’s landfills and the emissions of carbon dioxide and methane from landfills are major contributors to Global Warming.
In contrast, cloth diapers can be reused and are a more sustainable option for the environment. In addition to reducing waste in landfills, cloth diapers also have a smaller carbon footprint than disposable diapers, as they require less energy and resources to manufacture
- Cost-effective: Although the upfront cost of cloth diapers can be higher than disposable diapers, in the long run, they are more cost-effective. With proper care, cloth diapers can last through multiple children, saving families thousands of dollars in diaper expenses
- Healthier for baby's skin: In 1955, before modern disposable diapers it was estimated that 7% of babies and toddlers had diaper rash. In 1991, long after plastic disposable diapers dominated the market, the number jumped to 78%. Disposable diapers contain chemicals and plastics that can irritate a baby's skin and cause diaper rash. Cloth diapers are made of natural fibers such as bamboo and cotton that allow the skin to breathe, reducing the risk of irritation.
- Can be used as a potty training aid: Cloth diapers can be used as a potty training aid by allowing toddlers to feel when they are wet and need to use the potty. Disposable diapers pull moisture away from the skin to keep babies comfortable after they have used their diapers, so they don’t feel the wetness against their skin.
- Variety of types & styles: Cloth diapers come in a variety of styles, colors, and patterns, allowing parents to choose a diaper that fits their lifestyle, budget and preferences best.
- Disposable Diaper Shortage & Price Increases: As supply chain issues started to create havoc in the early stages of the pandemic, diapers were one of the items difficult to find on the shelves. And then once they returned to the shelves it was with an increased price tag! Still today, there is uncertainty of what diapers you will find in the store when you need them. This has left many parents searching for a reliable and affordable source of diapers for their babies. A great benefit of cloth diapers is they are reusable - once you have them you will continue to have a steady supply.
Cloth diapers are a great option for families who are looking for a more eco-friendly, cost-effective, and safe way to keep their babies dry and clean. And the cloth diapers of today are so EASY to use - the learning curve is not as steep as you may think!